I don't know where to begin?
My mother is 54 years old and she was recently diagnosed with psychotic Disorder Nos (Not Otherwise Specified). She was admitted to the Psychiatric Ward for 10 days.
We don't even know when this started. She hears voices and sees people that are not there. She's always investigating something and thinks that people are always lying to her. Shes just getting worse. Yesterday, she said that something told her to throw away lots of stuff. She then started to cry and said that she knows something is not right in her head. But then she just forgets and believes it's reality.
I just received a phone call from my sister with whom my mother is staying. My mother cleaned out my sister's room and threw away all of her working close. My sister is a security guard and needs her uniform.
We really don't know what to do? Should we tell her what shes feeling is not reality? Should we snap her back when she does all these things, or should we go along with it?
She's on medication, Seroquel and Celexa.
We feel hopeless, Please help.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.