My Husband and I have been together for 7 years, then married for 4. Our views for so much of our lives are the same, child rearing, the value of education, work ethic, financial responsibility, how we will care for our parents as they age. Seems like a good foundation for a relationship, but, we cannot seem to get along as a couple.
For me, it seems that, as I have watched him achieve all of his goals, his ego has grown also. I feel my opinions are not valued. Along with this all of these views of the traditional wife have appeared too. I feel like no matter what I do it wont be enough to please him. I wouldn't even care about doing more if I received some positive feedback, or gratitude.
Our intimacy is also disappearing He doesnt tell me I'm beautiful and so, I don't really feel sexy. Because of all our issues I don't even feel emotionally connected to him anymore. He won't even agree to counseling now.
Overwhelmed, under appreciated. Advice?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.